St. Pius X Church was built on land which had previously been the location of St. Vincent’s Orphanage. The Church was finished and dedicated to St. Pius X in 1958 who had been canonized only four years before.
The Church was originally designed to hold more than 500 people, but it has been altered in more recent years to accommodate handicapped parishioners and to create a more welcoming and beautiful worship space. These modifications have reduced the nave capacity to 460 worshipers. The renovation has also produced a Memorial Chapel that seats 3o. The lower level of the Church was designed as a multipurpose auditorium/worship space.
Our school opened in 1962 with classrooms and an auditorium/gymnasium in 1968.
Msgr. Joseph G. McCourt was appointed the first pastor and he served until 1967. The first rectory was a townhouse on Overbrook Road on the north side of the Church until a permanent rectory was built later on parish property on the south side of the Church.
Msgr. McCourt was followed as pastor by Msgr. Gerard W. Broderick, Msgr. A. Thomas Baumgartner, Fr. Robert F. Lentz, Fr. Thomas J. Golueke, Pastoral Life Director, Mrs. Carol J. Pacione, and our current pastor, Fr. Marty Nocchi.
In 2016, St. Pius X and St. Mary of the Assumption, Govans (www.stmarygovans.org) became a Pastorate community, under the leadership of Fr. Marty Nocchi.